Tuesday, January 29, 2013

IN THE NEXUS OF CORRUPTION, POLITICS, & PATRIOTISM: WHO IS AN ENTREPRENEUR?



By Akolawole Shoremi – akolawole@ogunvoicenews.com

Having survived the first urge to drop out of school, I eventually acquired a moto-bike for commercial use to begin what seems to be my first business. To meet other demands craving my attention far back in 2009, I had to transfer the business supervision to an old friend who have a better experience in the line. Moreover, I had an important function though non-profitable financially, it was an humanitarian work I cant afford to miss. After a month leave, I returned home to realize I have no dime to bank on from the business I left. Recounting the ordeal, the contracted motorcyclist had an accident with the motor-bike few days after I travelled. And obviously, on sighting the motor-bike, I knew it was more better to be in pieces- this was one of the main reasons I chose to study the act of Entrepreneurship before I make a bigger investment.

In early 2010, I became acquainted with an entrepreneurship organization where my knowledge was more broadened. Earlier, I’ve attended various business summits and could boast of elementary skills, as an added advantage, I had some entreprenuership books at hand too that further expanded my realm in the business world. Only to my amazement I realized how gifted I could easily initiate and design business ideas via my instinct, creatively and passionately. As I choose to proceed in understanding how best to capture the global market, I also realized there is a difference from the content of what I’ve read from books and the demands of the global market. Having submitted enough unfruitful proposals to several companies on partnership, even multi-national ones, something strikes me revealing it is not just enough to be full of ideas, no- not in this world!

In my pursuit to research the ideal ways to become a force to be reckon with in the businesss environment, I stumbled on the ’48 Laws of Power’ and few other books. And indeed the books were useful and well detailed on how to utilize people and lure organizations to achieve my desires. Meantime I knew why it may never work with me and why I may never be a good Entrepreneur. It was then also that I realized that a good Entrepreneur can never double as a good Leader, and vice versa. A good Leader cant sky-rocket a company profitably within a short period. Leadership’s first rule is about serving while the demands of a good Manager negates this rule. The first managerial rule is to utilize all available resources to achieve profit for a company. Of course, notable of these resources include bribery, gratification, extortion, political influence, et al.

Midway, I realized I am more of a servant that desire to see things done legally rather than trampling on the rights of others, or because those I have to make the money from lacks the will to challenge or stop me.

As practised in the global world, the Nigerian environment is not left out. The multi-national companies that are been considered as promoters of our economy like the oil companies, telecommunications, banks, and others never got to their height legally. Shell, a multi-national Oil Company, apart from its numerous illegal transactions with the past actors of the Nigerian government, is widely known for its environmental damages in the southern part of the country. The Banks, compared to non-interest banks, add little value to the people upon interests accrued from customers’ monies. The telecommunication companies, like MTN, are notable for extortion upon the bad network service offered to the subscribers. As I stated above, their primary concern is to profit by all means. Whatever offer any of these companies tagged ‘CSR’ is not in the true spirit. Their definition of Corporate Social Responsibility is a set of baits designed to keep attracting more preys. Yes, convincingly, for still being in their business, they usually have good Managers. And of course, their sustainance of the first managerial rule is non-relenting. With official corruption and gratification, and possibly some political supports, there will always be an enabling environment to keep abusing the people.

Perhaps you are already thinking of building a business without these vices, then you must as well begin to learn how to be contented with the little you make. But if you had wanted to build a large conglomerate just as I dreamt, but you are also more concerned about others than yourself, then it is important you have a re-think before you start because either you take it or not there is a nexus which every famous Entrepreneur survives on. That nexus is one connected to corruption, politics, and patriotism; and when corruption and politics are your priority, you will indeed have the global market at your fingertip- but if patriotism is your own priority, you may also be successful but only through divine grace. And the later should be enough for anyone who wants a lasting success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?